Thursday, January 26, 2017

Am I an ENTJ or an INTP???

In this post, I would really appreciate it if you would look over this and give me your input on what MBTI type you think I could be. Below, I will show some info on ENTJ's and INTP's and what about each sound and does not sound like me. Also, if you know me well enough, I will remind you not to so hastily jump to the conclusion that I am an introvert, there are explainable reasons why I could be an extrovert. Please let me know in the comments what you think I am! ( Unless your name is Hannah, because I already know quite well what you think ;D )

ENTJ and INTP Differences
How INTP Sounds like me:
  • Great Analysts and Abstract Thinkers – People with the Logician personality type view the world as a big, complex machine, and recognize that as with any machine, all parts are interrelated. Logicians excel in analyzing these connections, seeing how seemingly unrelated factors tie in with each other in ways that bewilder most other personality types.
  • Enthusiastic – When a new idea piques their interest, Logicians can be very enthusiastic – they are a reserved personality type, but if another person shares an interest, they can be downright excited about discussing it. More likely though, the only outward evidence of this enthusiasm will be Logicians’ silent pacing or their staring into the distance.
  • Honest and Straightforward – To know one thing and say another would be terribly disingenuous – Logicians don’t often go around intentionally hurting feelings, but they believe that the truth is the most important factor, and they expect that to be appreciated and reciprocated.
  • Condescending – Attempts at connecting with others are often worse than Logicians’ withdrawal. People with the Logician personality type take pride in their knowledge and rationale, and enjoy sharing their ideas, but in trying to explain how they got from A to B to Z, they can get frustrated, sometimes simplifying things to the point of insult as they struggle to gauge their conversation partners’ perspective. The ultimate insult comes as Logicians give up with a dismissive “never mind”.

How INTP Does Not Sound like me:
  • Loathe Rules and Guidelines – These social struggles are partly a product of Logicians’ desire to bypass the rules, of social conduct and otherwise. While this attitude helps Logicians’ strength of unconventional creativity, it also causes them to reinvent the wheel constantly and to shun security in favor of autonomy in ways that can compromise both.
  • Second-Guess Themselves – Logicians remain so open to new information that they often never commit to a decision at all. This applies to their own skills as well – Logician personalities know that as they practice, they improve, and any work they do is second-best to what they could do. Unable to settle for this, Logicians sometimes delay their output indefinitely with constant revisions, sometimes even quitting before they ever begin.
  • Disorganized and Messy - Logicians have a tendency to not care about the environments, which usually leads to messy, unkept living spaces. They have no concern for organization or planning. Although the Logician personality may have many ideas, they usually don't ever end up finishing most of them, if any at all. 

How ENTJ Sounds like me:
  • Efficient – Commanders see inefficiency not just as a problem in its own right, but as something that pulls time and energy away from all their future goals, an elaborate sabotage consisting of irrationality and laziness. People with the Commander personality type will root out such behavior wherever they go.
  • Energetic – Rather than finding this process taxing Commanders are energized by it, genuinely enjoying leading their teams forward as they implement their plans and goals.
  • Self-Confident – Commanders couldn’t do this if they were plagued by self-doubt – they trust their abilities, make known their opinions, and believe in their capacities as leaders.
  • Strong-Willed – Nor do they give up when the going gets tough – Commander personalities strive to achieve their goals, but really nothing is quite as satisfying to them as rising to the challenge of each obstacle in their run to the finish line.
  • Strategic Thinkers – Commanders exemplify the difference between moment-to-moment crisis management and navigating the challenges and steps of a bigger plan, and are known for examining every angle of a problem and not just resolving momentary issues, but moving the whole project forward with their solutions.
  • Stubborn and Dominant – Sometimes all this confidence and willpower can go too far, and Commanders are all too capable of digging in their heels, trying to win every single debate and pushing their vision, and theirs alone.
  • Intolerant – “It’s my way or the highway” – People with the Commander personality type are notoriously unsupportive of any idea that distracts from their primary goals, and even more so of ideas based on emotional considerations. Commanders won’t hesitate a second to make that fact clear to those around them.
  • Impatient – Some people need more time to think than others, an intolerable delay to quick-thinking Commanders. They may misinterpret contemplation as stupidity or disinterest in their haste, a terrible mistake for a leader to make.
  • Poor Handling of Emotions – All this bluster, alongside the assumed supremacy of rationalism, makes Commanders distant from their own emotional expression and sometimes downright scornful of others’. People with this personality type often trample others’ feelings, inadvertently hurting their partners and friends, especially in emotionally charged situations.
  • Arrogant – Commander personalities respect quick thoughts and firm convictions, their own qualities, and look down on those who don’t match up. This relationship is a challenge for most other personality types who are perhaps not timid in their own right, but will seem so beside overbearing Commanders.

How ENTJ Does Not Sound like me:

ENTJ's can be a little more extroverted than I usually am, but I think that changes with age. Also, ENTJ's do seem a bit to power craving and controlling to fit with me perfectly, but I do act a lot like this at home, lol. They also are usually very cold and ruthless, which I can definitely be in many situations, but maybe not as much as it says they usually are.



If you did end up reading some of this, again, please make sure to tell me what you think in the comments below. Thanks for your time!


16 comments:

  1. I liked this post a lot. However, I couldn't help but noticing that the character traits that you posted as ENTJ are also INTP characteristics. For example:
    on your list of "how ENTJ sounds like me", you stated that ENTJ's are...
    * Efficient (INTP's can be extremely efficient if they like what they are doing).
    * Energetic (Think of Joshua and I; we are CRAZY energetic and weird)
    * Self Confident (It's not that INTP's lack confidence, it is that they are only confident in the stuff they know well. That seemed like a poor representation of both sides)
    * Strong Willed (Obviously since you know me, you must also know that I am strongwilled. INTP's are strong willed in the stuff they know well, while ENTJ's throw theselves into situations and problems that they have never even heard of)
    * Strategic Thinkers (Think of the strategy in which I am attacking your points. INTP's are one of the most trategic types there are. Think of Bill Gates and his strategy in getting Microsoft to the top)
    * Stubborn and Dominant (Yet another INTP characteristic. I am being stubborn about this whole ideal, for instance)
    * Intolerant (I can be very intolerant of poor logic. INTP's are EXTREMELY intolerant in these ways)
    * Impatient (I can be super impatient when it comes to things I am really looking forward to. Also, if someone is trying to support a fact that they know nothing about, I will often get so impatient I cut them off midsentence to tell them how stupid they are making themselves sound)
    * Poor Handling of Emotions (INTP's have this problem too, by the way)
    * Arrogant (Yup, I'm arrogant. ALL INTP's can be arrogant if they believe themselves to be better than everyone else. PS. More prood that INTP's are also stubborn and dominant)
    If you want more imput, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It think your right with a lot of this, but some things you said, like energetic, efficient, self confident, and strategic thinkers, I don't think match up with the INTP personality very well, according to every description I have seen of them. BTW, Bill Gates is an ENTJ

      Delete
    2. No, my mom and I spent like an hour on Bill Gates. He is an INTP. Allison's uncle knew him personally as a kid. People often do not function in their normal functions in those types of jobs. Steve Jobs was an ENTJ, though. I also disagree with the part where you said that energetic, efficient, self confident, and strategic thinkers. Especially strategic thinkers. INTP's are more strategic thinkers any other personality type.

      Delete
  2. YOu also have to remember that the shadow functions for the intp are entj and vice versa. How we are raised and influenced has a lot to do with the maturity of our functions. I am a great example of an entp who uses S and J qualities all the time- but this doesn't change my entp-ness. Some of the hard things with your current argument is that you are dealing with the same functions and they are each others shadows. So you will naturally do a combination of them. Looking at all the functions on a whole is more telling. You are looking for behavior similarities which can be helpful but I have seen you disregard things in order to align yourself with more favorable options.
    Further more, we all have N/S/T/F, we all do all of them. But we process the information specifically. Your two current hard place is both N/T. I think you might need to look more into the backseat and look at S/F. Either way it is going to be really close and you will likely do a combination from both sides because they are, again, eachothers shadow functions.
    Lastly, I think you really like the characteristics of the entj. I have read and read and read and looked at both. I can find some action preferences of the entj that match some of the things you like to do but the way that the entj takes in and acts on information just does not fit. While the intp does. Just like Hannah, the process of functions fit but her interest in life are different from the majority of intp's. But that doesn't make her not an intp.... I digress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing... I would like to know how ENTJ's take in and act on information, does that have something to do with their dominant function, Te?

      Delete
    2. Nice post. Which type do think you are right now?

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I honestly don't know, I'm thinking more towards ENTJ. What do you think?

      Delete
  3. Great post Noah, can't wait till this all get's straitened out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S your on your own, your totally an INTP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. INTP's don't give up, kinda like your doing right now. Just trust me when I say you are an INTP! No hard feelings?

      Delete
    2. None at all! I know that ENTJ's are usually pretty stubborn to, but I see what you saying

      Delete
  5. Mom's comment definitely made me think. INTP sounds undeniably more like you, and even in your own words, I think INTP is more of your personality than ENTJ. And I TOTALLY agree with Mairyn's comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I should probably stop being stupid and resisting them, haha. INTP it is! Unless someone else I know really well tells me otherwise

      Delete